Monday, May 31, 2010

FACE LIFT? FACE LIFT, NOT?

It is a regular school day. I wake up fifteen minutes before my first class with the usual complex of what clothes and shoes I should wear. Aware of the time constraint I have, I take a quick shower and put together similar hues from my wardrobe. As I glance at my reflection in the mirror, I am confronted with a question I battle with daily; should I wear makeup today? Or let my ‘natural beauty’ shine through?

Sometimes, I find these questions ridiculous; however, many of my age mates have their minds made up without much thought, when it comes to the question of wearing makeup. Before I make this imperative decision, I reflect on my schedule for the day (the pains females go through). Am I going to do a lot of walking? What is the weather outside like? No one appreciates looking like a steaming kettle. Do I have a class presentation today? Am I going somewhere special after classes? And if I do wear makeup, should I keep my make up simple, ‘natural’, or smashing. That is the crux of the makeup problem. These three looks have what is hot and what is not about them. If you are still confused, three scenarios with these different looks will be painted together with their repercussions.

The simple look comprises applying my mineral power foundation, minimal strokes of my no. 2 eye pencil, and my magical pink, translucent lip gloss. That simple look takes approximately 10 minutes and I race into my morning class, breathless, right before the instructor walks in.

All females will agree that the ‘natural look’ takes as much time as the smashing look. For the ‘natural’ look I strive for the ‘I always look like this’ appeal. Firstly, I ensure that my application of foundation and brown powder blend perfectly with my complexion, while a concealer and primer may be considered. I carefully examine each eyebrow to ensure that there are no stray hairs, and if there are, the tweezers are prompt to act. Total concentration is channeled as I carve my desired arch with my eyebrow pencil. Two coats of lip-gloss are perfect for luscious lips in my case, as I blend a chocolate lip-gloss with a tan lipstick, while not forgetting my lip balm foundation. Did I mention that the ‘natural’ look needs daylight in order to be achieved perfectly? It never hurts to pull up my blinds for the daylight to stream in.
Regardless of the fact that I am late for my first class, I cannot afford to taint my natural look, so I walk cautiously on air into class, ten minutes late, but guess what? I heard a couple of people mention that I look effortlessly pretty.

The smashing look is elicited if I wake up with the urge to be a head turner. I follow the same routine as my simple look with a few additions such as applying a bronze shade of eye shadow to my eye lids, a darker shade to my eye crease, and a little shimmer to glimmer. How could I forget my mascara, my lash blast mascara, to give more volume and length to my stunted eyelashes? A swift application of my lipstick before applying my lip-gloss follows, which I apply, after lining my lips.
As I strut into class ten minutes late, I catch the unmistakable smiles plastered on my classmates’ faces, while I boldly strut into class ten minutes with all the audacity I can muster, blended with a “Mr. Lecturer please understand the plight of females” look.

Nonetheless, as a college student with a huge time debt on my hands, these scenarios hardly come to fruition and I often opt for going to class without wearing makeup. My early arrival enables me to set out my class materials for the day and eagerly anticipate the day’s lecture. As the lecture progresses, I cannot help, but chuckle to myself while I appreciate the time, energy, and effort made by some of my female classmates, who make late entrances into class with the simple, ‘natural’, or smashing makeup looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment