Sunday, May 30, 2010

YOU ARE HOT AND YOU'RE COLD AKA THE BATTLE OF THE SUN AND THE SNOW

As an international student from a country with a warm tropical climate, I had only seen snow on television and in pictures. Therefore, I was very eager to experience my first snowy day in the United States. On December 4, 2009, our favorite weather forecasters announced that Berea, Kentucky was going to get about 4 inches of snow in the evening. I didn’t understand how deep it was going to be, I was simply glad it was going to snow. The morning turned into afternoon and evening finally came, yet no snow. I was very disappointed, but I was soon going to learn that this was a Kentucky custom (The official state with bipolar weather disorder in the United States).


The next morning, I was brushing in the bathroom when one of my floor mates walked in. I heard her call out to me from one of the stalls. I promptly headed in her direction as she pointed to the window and voila, it had snowed. In one word, it was breathtaking. As I stared out marveled I heard her say, “This is merely a dusting. Where I’m from in Massachusetts, it could have been a couple of feet”. Excited, I hurriedly put on my clothes and my boots that I had reserved for this special moment then I raced towards the elevator to get a feel of the snow. As I stepped off the steps and onto the snow covered pavement, it felt so good. After I had taken a couple of steps, I realized that my feet felt cold and wet. “No way, I had worn my wool socks with this boots to keep my feet warm”. When I asked one of my friends what could possibly have gone wrong, she brought it to my attention that I was wearing a pair of suede boots, so much for my feet staying warm and cozy.

As winter progressed and as more inches of snow settled on quiet Berea, my joy turned into dismay as I bundled up with as many coats as possible to keep the fiercest wind chills away. Not forgetting my head warmers, thick socks, boots, scarves, and gloves (even in buildings and so much for those who poked fun at me), which tend to wear me down and contribute further to my sadness. Often, snowy days arouse the nostalgia of my warm, sunny climate back home. In order not drown in my misery; I have decided to view each snowy day as another day for me to appreciate God’s wondrous works. Perhaps, one of these snowy days I will go sledding and appreciate more the beauty of snow.

As humans we find it hard to be content with our present circumstances for we desire to live a life of comfort, free of hitches. Now that the snowy months are dead and gone, it is so blazing hot at frying temperature and it is difficult to believe that it is hotter than this in Lagos. Hard is it may be to admit, I know I am officially a whiner (along with millions of people) when it comes to acknowledging that the weather is just right. Therefore, my plan for this summer is to soak up all the sunlight and heat I can in my memory, safely tucked away for my recalling pleasure during the snowy months.

This article is my cooling therapy to get over the unbearable heat (aargh)

1 comment:

  1. reality- either humans can hardly be satisfied or just a big reminder that things are so imperfect, different from the way they were meant to be originally!

    BTW.. who gave y'all in Kentucky bragging rights for having The "bipolar weather disorder in the United States" ... i think u should check up on Colorado!!!

    ReplyDelete